Earn your master of science degree online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
Share your love of learning and literacy with children, teens, and adults in classroom and childhood settings as well as nontraditional learning environments. In the master's in reading program, you learn about language acquisition, literacy development, literacy-focused instruction across multiple subject areas, children's and young adult literature, instruction involving technology, and intervening to prevent literacy-related difficulties. There is an emphasis on developing effective instructional methods, formats, and assessments for informing and promoting literacy development. While all students will take certain required courses, there is flexibility built into the program structure to encourage your individual interests. This program is available fully online. If you hold a NY State Initial Teaching Certification and are seeking NY State Professional Teacher Certification, please visit the NYSED Master's Degree requirement website for regulations concerning individual pathway applications for professional certification. If you are a teacher with initial certification in ANY area, such as early childhood, childhood, TESOL, students with disabilities, and secondary education, you are welcome to apply. If you are a literacy volunteer, international student, parent, private school provider, after school program coordinator, or counselor in prison settings and do not hold a teacher certification, you may also apply for this graduate degree, keeping in mind it does not make you eligible for teacher certification.
- What's a master's degree?
- A master's degree is an advanced degree that usually takes two years to complete and typically requires students to have a bachelor’s degree in a related field of study.
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Classes on your schedule
- Courses are semester based and classwork can be completed around your work and family commitments. There is no set time where you are required to log in to attend class.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- Personal concierge
- You will have one person who acts as a single point of contact for any and all questions you may have.
- Learn by doing
- Participate in field experiences such as internships, clinical placements, and service learning to apply your academic knowledge in the world.
- Request Program Information
How do I apply?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Pay the application fee
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- Apply Now