Earn your master of science degree online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
The MS in Literacy degree is intended for teachers who are seeking literacy certification in New York State (B-6 or 5-12). The the coursework brings together current research and policy to prepare teachers to teach literacy as a classroom teacher, literacy specialist, or literacy coach. Coursework addresses the key components of literacy instruction, including literacy development, strategic instruction in key literacy areas, children’s/young adult literature, disciplinary, digital, and multimodal texts, writing instruction, literacy engagement, assessment, critical literacy, family partnerships, data-based decision making and learning standards. Initial teaching certification in any certification area is required for admission into this program. The degree leads to initial certification as a Literacy Specialist (provided you pass the CST in Literacy), and the MS degree needed for professional certification in literacy and in the area of your original initial certificate (e.g., Childhood, English, Music). This program is available fully online.
- What's a master's degree?
- A master's degree is an advanced degree that usually takes two years to complete and typically requires students to have a bachelor’s degree in a related field of study.
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Live lectures
- You will learn in real-time while the professor leads the class. Courses are similar to in-person classes, but you watch online.
- Classes on your schedule
- Courses are semester based and classwork can be completed around your work and family commitments. There is no set time where you are required to log in to attend class.
- Personal concierge
- You will have one person who acts as a single point of contact for any and all questions you may have.
- Learn by doing
- Participate in field experiments such as internships, clinical placements, and service learning to apply your academic knowledge in the world.
- Request Program Information
How do I apply?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Pay the application fee
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- Apply Now